As the holiday season approaches, now is a great time to take a moment and review some of the items we all have in our homes that are dangerous for our pets.
From foods to medications or household or holiday hazards, the ASPCA
provides a helpful list of items that are harmful.
Foods that could cause problems for your pet include;
- Chocolate ( the higher the cocoa content, the more toxic )
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions or onion powder
- Raisins or grapes
- Yeast dough
- Garlic or garlic powder
- Xylitol or products using xylitol ( sugar substitute )
- Your pets should avoid most human medications. Those listed below are the worst offenders.
- Pain killers
- Cold medication
- Cancer treatment medication
- Diet pills
Cold Weather Products
- Liquid potpourri
- Ice melting products
- Mouse or rat bait or poison
- Fabric softener sheets
For more items and details, please visit https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/poison-safe-home.
Please contact your vet or an emergency veterinary clinic for help.